Monday, November 7, 2011

Out of control anxiety


 November 6, 2011


Today, I seriously got really worried about my background check at work or that my boss has died cause he didn’t send out schedule yet. I check my email every hour today and nothing came. He said that he was going to send it out today like he said and still nothing. So I’m assuming that something went wrong with my background check or that he died unexpectedly and I don’t have a job anymore–now I’m worried that my boss is dead. And i now about to look at the obituaries in the newspapers to see if his name shows up. Of course, i bought this up to my mom and my friend and they got frustrated and said that I was full of ****. I almost left my best friend today cause i thought it wouldn’t b fair for him to deal with a stupid and crazy person like me–he says sincerely he accepts me for who I am and that his life would suck without me, so that made me feel better. Am I just being way too paranoid and worried about things lately? I sometimes just lose touch with what’s real and what’s irrational? Any advice appreciated?  Btw, I am on medication and counseling didn’t do much 4 me


Dear Worried & Anxious,


As I started reading through your entry I had to wonder if you were on anti-anxiety medication…which when I got to the end I see you are.  I’m guessing it’s not working for you (stating the obvious) and perhaps you need to go back to your physician to get your dosage tweaked.
Not that I’m a huge support of medication treatment, but I do recognize that it can be helpful while people are working through their issues.
I’m sure you’ve heard countless time about relaxation techniques (deep breathing, visualization, etc.) and I’m guessing that these haven’t been very helpful either.
When I’m working with a client I’m always looking for the underlying issue that creates emotional symptoms – which in your case is anxiety. I’d be interested in tracking your anxiety experiences and seeing where it all began. Looking at the things that bothered you today I can’t help but see a theme of situations that are out of your control: background check interpretation and your schedule. As I’ve mentioned before: Control and Fear are two sides of the same coin. Lack of control=fear. Fear=not being in control.
What does it mean to you to not be in control of a situation? What is the worst possible thing that could happen?
If you started exploring your anxiety by answering these questions I have a feeling that you would be able to get a handle on the anxiety.

No comments:

Five Dimensions of Touch

The Five Dimensions of Touch: The Key to Bypassing Sexual Power Struggles  By Barry McCarthy, Ph.D. “Are we going to have sex or not?” ...